Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Half-Dome, Jack & Margot

It's been an eventful few days. Over the weekend I went to Yosemite with Oleg, Mai, Vlad and Hanne and hiked up Half Dome. It's one of those iconic national park hikes - over 16 mile round trip, 12 hours, near vertical climb up a granite dome at the end that requires the use of metal cables and wooden planks that have been drilled into the side of the rock. We did it, it was amazing, and my quads are still aching a bit.

Carolina is back in the Bay Area (my last flatmate), and she doesn't know I know yet, but I hear from Amy that she's now engaged to Thad. We're meeting up tonight, and I'll have to act surprised.

But also when I got back on Monday morning, I heard the news that Jack Layton has died, and that little Margot has a major tumor that needs removing.

Jack Layton's passing actually surprised me and moved me more than I expected. I never really voted NDP, but always admired their goals. And Jack was certainly an excellent leader. He would have made an excellent Prime Minister some day. Here's a link to his last letter to Canadians. I know it's been posted so many times over the last couple of days, but I'm going to quote it again because it's so lovely:

"love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

And then poor little Margot! Children are remarkably resilient, and luckily the tumour isn't cancerous, but it's still quite scary. Poor Mat and Justine! At least they're in Canada, and Toronto Sick Kids is probably the best place to be for Margot, so hopefully tomorrow everything will go alright.

That's the news. Will be keeping the Saccorudels in my thoughts and prayers over the next 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment